Targeted training program and proper diet are the key factors that help in building muscles. However in addition to these, nutrient supplements should be added to our diet to get the maximum result in the shortest possible time. With increasing age, the recovery of muscles, injured during a heavy workout becomes more difficult. Hence, it is important to fill any nutritional gap by adding supplements to the diet chart. It is a misconception that supplements should only be used to complete a nutritionally deficient diet. The advancement in quality of supplements has proven its importance time and again.
Whey protein and Casein protein are the common supplements that are prescribed to every body builder. However, here is a list of 7 other important supplements that must be taken to boost muscles.
- BCAAs (Branch Chain Amino Acids): Among the 20 amino acids present in the body, 3 are referred as BCAAs namely leucine, isoleucine, and valine. These 3 amino acids boost protein synthesis and improve muscle growth and recovery. Crucial benefits of BCAAs are greater muscle growth, reduced pain from training, increased time to exhaustion etc. BCAAs are mainly important for those who have difficulty in building muscles, especially older people.
- Creatine: This substance is the primary fuel for the human body. It helps to increase body mass, leads to fat loss, faster recovery and enhanced performance. It is present in our body around skeletal muscle tissue. Creatine can only be effective if there is a presence of insulin in the body. Hence it is always advised to take this supplement with carbs or insulin stimulating products like alpha lipoic acid.
- Fish Oil: It helps in protein synthesis and omega-3 fatty acid. The latter benefits our body by maximizing metabolism and increasing blood circulation. This further allows various nutrients to reach muscles and grow them constantly. It also lubricates joints and improves cardiovascular health which makes the body stronger.
- Glutamine: It in essential supplement that helps in recovery of muscle tissues which tear down during intensive workout. When muscles are recovered easily, it automatically increases strength and performance of the body builder. Glutamine has also shown impressive results in improvement of immunity and enhancement of growth hormone level.
- Beta-Alanine: It is a type of non-essential amino acid that is present in poultry. Intake of beta-alanine delays muscle fatigue and failure by increasing the level of carnosine, which in turn controls the accumulation of hydrogen which causes acidity due to heavy work out.
- Citrulline: It raises arginine and nitric oxide levels in the body. Increase in these components help in increasing blood flow and growth hormones. It also removes waste products ( lactic acid and ammonia), ultimately repairing the muscle tissues so that they can grow easily.
- ZMA: It is a combination of 3 components “Zinc, Magnesium Aspartate and Vitamin B6”. ZMA is an essential supplement for people who are training themselves hard for gaining muscles, as their body may become deficient of these important minerals. This supplement plays a vital role in maintaining hormone levels and improves sleep pattern which is very important for proper recovery.